Wednesday, June 8, 2011

when shit gets rude.

i'm certainly not one for etiquette, and this shouldn't surprise you. not at all. BUT i think manners are a whole other matter. i mean, i know i'm sometimes inappropriate (translation, i'm often inappropriate, but i fear my brain is missing some key element that tells me what is acceptable and what is not), but when it comes to being polite, i think i have that covered. maybe i'm just being a bitch, but i'm a little pissed off about the way a friend acted yesterday.

the scene: at a friend's house for her birthday party. there are about 25 people, so since all of the attention is on her, she's not acting like herself which makes it weird from the very beginning. after about an hour, she sneaks away to open her birthday gifts. she came to stand beside me and said, "thanks for the card." i asked her if she opened the gift that was with the card, thinking that they may have been separated since the box was small. she said she did open the gift, but she didn't say anything about it or thank me. i gave her a pair of earrings, but as luck would have it, she doesn't have pierced ears. i feel bad about it, but she just kind of waived her hand in the air and said, "whatever" as she rolled her eyes. i wasn't sure if i wanted to cry or punch her in the face, but it really hurt my feelings. when did we start thanking people based on how well we like the gift as opposed to thanking them for the thought and for getting us a gift, whether that gift is a new car or a broken pencil.

shit like that bothers me. while my mouth may be vulgar, i like to think that my heart is kind, and i could never imagine acting so spoiled about getting a gift. i mean, FUCK, it was a NO GIFTS party, and i still brought something. yeah, that's the last time i buy a gift for that person.

2 comments:

amyschmamey said...

This is so irritating I know people who have to have certain gifts and certain brand names and it's so frustrating. Spoiled is a good word for it.

Cal said...

Unappreciative spoiled betch, if you ask me. Were you asking? Cause that's my take on it.